Discovering the best of Waiheke Island
Waiheke is the tiny island in Auckland’s Hauraki Gulf that’s known as one of New Zealand’s most relaxing and beautiful places. Panoramic ocean views, golden beaches and world–class wineries are the spirit of Waiheke. Accessible by ferry, it’s intimate enough to visit in a day or two but offers plenty to explore if you decide to extend your stay. This week, we’re sharing some of our favourite Waiheke spots and activities.
Wine on Waiheke
If you’re a wine–lover visiting NZ, you simply have to fit a trip to Waiheke into your schedule. The little island is home to a surprisingly large number of stunning wineries. Here are some of our favourites:
- Mudbrick Vineyard & Restaurant – A Waiheke institution, Mudbrick has a massive reputation as not only one of NZ’s finest wineries, but also one of its most in–demand wedding venues — you only need one look at the view to understand why.
- Tantalus Estate – Celebrate all that’s good about Waiheke with world–class wines, olive groves, macadamia trees and award–winning architecture.
- Cable Bay – Sit atop the rolling hills of Waiheke and enjoy the Mediterranean vibes with amazing tapas plates showcasing the best of their organic garden. Breathtaking ocean views.
- Te Motu – Te Motu offers a super laid–back atmosphere where you can revel in the rustic beauty all around you and focus on tasting the range of fantastic wines from their cellar door.
- Stonyridge Vineyard – Known for its Bordeaux style wines — their signature Larose variety is one of Waiheke’s top premium wines.
- Peacock Sky – Peacock Sky add a European twist to their wine tasting — a degustation–style experience where each wine is paired with a delicious canapé from the kitchen.
Want to see the best of Waiheke’s wineries in a single day? The Wine on Waiheke tour includes a return ferry trip from Auckland, tasting at Waiheke’s best wineries, plus a complimentary island bus pass, so you can see more of the island. Magic!
Life on Waiheke isn’t just about wine (although it definitely can be, if you want). When you’re ready to up the tempo and explore some more, the team at Ecozip have come up with the perfect adventure — ziplining. Grab a camera and choose your adventure! Ecozip have three different ziplines: zip one, the vineyard cruise (more wine, anyone?); zip two, the city view; and zip three, Kurinui (the steepest one). Each zipline is over 200 metres in length with dual cables allowing you to share your experience with a loved one. If you want the ultimate Ecozip adventure, book a package deal to experience all three ziplines and explore the native forest on a guided nature walk.
Enquire today to explore our range of Waiheke Island tours.